Oct 19, 2009

Alicia Keys - "Doesn't Mean Anything" Music Video



Alicia Keys will be releasing her fourth studio album "The Element of Freedom" on December 1. The lead single is called "Doesn't Mean Anything" and it is growing on me. When I first heard the single, I was not very impressed. I am huge fan of Alicia Keys and have high expectations, and this song just didn't do it for me, but now, it's alright. It is not a classic hit, but it is a good song.

"This beautiful city seems empty. All the people in the world and you can still feel lonely. What's the point of having it all without the person you love. Sometimes you just need to start again in order to fly." - Alicia Keys





I really like the first half of the video. It is really simple, just Alicia singing at the piano. She looks amazing, the scenes of New York are breathtaking, and the piano is see-through, how cool is that! And then it gets weird. Things disappear. Alicia pops up in some mystic looking desert, walking on a pathway. She looks amazing, like a superstar, but she doesn't fit in with the scene. There is also a white grand piano. Then she is climbing a mountain, she reaches the top, and she is alone - which isn't exactly the theme of the song. And the video seems to linger and won't end. I don't know, I was really into the video when it started, but when thing started to disappear, so did my understand and appreciation. I don't get the imagery, symbolism, and don't really know if it fits the tone, theme and lyrics of the song. For me, she missed the mark with this video.

I'm really curious as to what you all think. As I've said before, I'm a HUGE fan of Alicia, but the single wasn't an instant hit for me, and neither is the video. What are your thoughts and opinions?
"When You Have Music, You Have Friends"

Miro's Musings: