Being a huge fan of
Alicia Keys, I was not very impressed with the lead single, "
Doesn't Mean Anything", from her fourth studio album, "
The Element of Freedom". And it looks like I was not the only one. The single has only reached #60 on the charts, and has failed to gain much airplay. I will admit that it does grow on you, but it is not what I or the public expects.
The good news is that Alicia has decided to push the album's release back two weeks and work on more material. The album is now scheduled to be released on the 15th of December. She is also going to start promoting the second single from the album, "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart".
After a few listens, I like "
Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart" more than "
Doesn't Mean Anything", but it is STILL missing something. I don't know about her singing, her vocals don't sound as pure and powerful as they did on her first two albums. I noticed this on her last album, and it seems to be going in the wrong direction for me. I do like the vibe and production of the song - there are some great sounds going on in the background. I like the beat, it's simple, but it works. I also like the chorus and the bridge. I don't think it's the best song she's put out, but it isn't the worst. I like it and I'm sure it will grow on me, although it won't give me goosebumps like "
Fallin'", "
If I Ain't Got You", "
Where Do We Go From Here", "
Karma", "
Wake Up", "
Diary", "
Troubles", "
The Life", "
Butterflyz", "
Caged Bird" and others do.
What do you think of "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart"?