On October 27th of 2008, the top 12 contestants of X-Factor released a cover of Mariah Carey's classic hit "Hero". Proceeds from the single sales went to an organization called "Help for Heroes" which helps British Servicemen and women.
The single came in at #1 on the charts, giving the 12 acts a number one hit single before the season had ended. They sold 313,224 copies during the first week, which was more than the rest of the top 10 combined.
The top 12 acts were: Bad Lashes, Girl Band, Scott Bruton, Austin Drage, Larua White, Daniel Evans, Rachel Hylton, Ruth Lorenzo, Diana Vickers, Eoghan Quigg, JLS, and Alexandra Burke.
Here is the official Music Video:
And a performance on the X-Factor:
I really like this version of the song. It is a beautiful song, and one that is not easy to cover. I didn't think they would be able to make it work, seeing as there are some 20+ people singing, but they managed to pull it off without sounding like a cheesy and too much like a choir. I really like the vocals by Alexandra Burke and Laura White. Rachel Hylton is amazing on the bridge of the song. I also like the soft quality of Diana Vickers and Eoghan Quigg, especially the last note.
(And you may notice that Ruth Lorenzo and Daniel Evans weren't in the "live" performance - there was a glitch and they weren't able to get onto the stage... bummer!)
What are your thoughts on "Hero" by the X-Factor 2008 Top 12? Which singers/sections did you enjoy more?
