Oct 6, 2009
Sharon Corr - "Smalltown Boy" & "Ears Painted On"
Sharon Corr is about to release her debut solo album and is going some performances to showcase the new material. The lead single is a beautiful ballad called "It's Not A Dream" and can be heard here. She has performed a cover of "Smalltown Boy", "Ears Painted On" and a few others.
"Smalltown Boy" is a cover, but it sounds nothing like the original. The original by Bronski Beat, is an upbeat electro-synth pop song from 1984. The song is about a gay boy and his struggles in a homophobic world. Sharon Corr was a fan of the original, but wanted to slow it down to bring out the lyrics and message of the song. And she has indeed done that.
This is what covers should be about. When listening to the origianl and the cover, they sound completely different, and I love that. They are both great for different reasons. The clip is a live track, but Sharon still sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear the studio version. I love her vocals and the emotions.
This past weekend, Sharon played at the Hotpress Music Show in Dublin and debuted a new song called "Ears Painted On".
I will admit that I was really nervous as the song started, it sounded a bit too much of a folk song, but it works. Sharon looks AMAZING. And she sounds really good too. I really like the song, it's a catchy tune. As I've already stated, I prefer ballads for Sharon as her music tends to have romance and passion, so the folk beat doesn't best suit her. I love that she plays the violin on the track and that middle section sounds amazing. I really can't wait to hear the studio cut of the song.
Sharon has played a few more tracks from her album, and I will showcase them on this blog at some point. Needless to say, I am a huge fan of The Corrs and cannot wait to hear the whole album when is released. Keep up the amazing work Sharon!


