Oct 27, 2009

Imogen Heap Meets Michael Jackson's "Thriller"



Imogen Heap is a successful indie singer/songwriter from England. She was a member of Frou Frou, but has released three solo albums, the latest, Elipse, was released two months ago in August. Imogen recently did an amazing cover of Michael Jackson's mega hit "Thriller". I must admit that I am cautious and weary of anyone covering a Michael Jackson song, let alone "Thriller". It is such a classic and is so well known and unique, that most covers are atrocious, some are tolerable, but only a rare few are good.

Imogen's cover is brilliant. It does everything I want a cover to do - it is musically different and does not resemble the original except in melody and lyrics. Everything is different. While Michael Jackson's original is very theatrical, Imogen's version is very bare and stripped. But in that bareness, Imogen's vocals are haunting and it gives me chills. I love the chorus and the enunciation of the lyrics. The lyrics really stand out and create the mood of the song. I absolutely love this cover and give mad props to Imogen for attempting and succeeding in covering this classic. Well done!



What do you think of Imogen Heap's cover of "Thriller" originally by Michael Jackson?
"When You Have Music, You Have Friends"

Miro's Musings: